How to make a green smoothie
Making a green smoothie is quite simple all you need is a leafy green, a fruit and a liquid base.
As a liquid base, you could use any of the following:
- coconut water
- coconut milk or
- almond milk
Fruit juices are high in sugar, therefore, I wouldn’t recommend using them for your green smoothie.
Why are green smoothies so healthy?
Dark leafy greens contain high-quality amino acids, essential minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and beneficial phytonutrients.
Phytonutrients are plant-based chemicals which support your
- immune system
- improve health
- and may reduce life-threatening diseases
Sometimes we struggle to eat our “five a day” but with a green smoothie, you already cover at least two of them. Smoothies are easy to prepare and are the perfect breakfast or snack. The vegetable and fruit still contain all the fibre, therefore, the fructose gets released slowly which helps to keep your blood sugar levels at bay.
If you compare this to highly concentrated fruit juices you will notice that a green smoothie keeps you full for longer and releases the energy over a longer period rather than a quick spike.
You could also add some oats to make it even richer and to give it a creamy texture. Another favourite of mine is this Mango Matcha Green Smoothie make sure to check it out.
If you prefer eating something warm in the morning rather than drinking a smoothie, you might also want to check out my Almond Butter Porridge With Grilled Bananas and my Vegan Pineapple Pancake Mess.
What do you prefer for breakfast a smoothie or a good auld porridge? I’m looking forward to reading about your favourite breakfasts in the comments.
Like it? Pin it!
Best Energy Boosting Green Smoothie
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 slices fresh pineapple approx. 2cm thick
- 2 cups almond milk or coconut milk the one that comes in tetra packs, not the canned ones
- Wash the celery and spinach and chop the celery into big chunks.
- Peel the pineapple and slice it into 2cm thick slices, don't cut out the core, it contains a lot of goodness.
- Fill celery, spinach and pineapple into a blender and pulse until it turns into a smooth liquid.
- Add the coconut milk and pulse again until well combined.