Best Acai Bowl Recipe Ever
This delicious acai bowl is the perfect way to start your day. It will provide you with clean energy for the day and is so easy to make. Best of all it’s vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.
Acai bowls and other smoothie bowls have been around for a while now but I have always been reluctant to try them. It just didn’t appeal to me to have a smoothie in a bowl rather than a glass. I expected them to be runny, messy to eat and not worth the bother BUT man, how wrong was I.
Since I started testing this acai bowl recipe a couple of weeks ago it has become one of my favourite breakfast options. Admittingly, I added some chia seeds or linseeds to firm it up as well as some maca powder which can work a treat if you are really stressed or suffering from PMS.
Chia seeds also make a great breakfast and are easily prepared as shown in this Chai Chia Pudding recipe. As a real breakfast person, I couldn’t imagine leaving the house without having breakfast. Therefore, I am constantly on the lookout for new breakfast ideas like this Vegan Mango Lassie Overnight Oats or Rhubarb Strawberry Smoothie to add a bit of variety.
Depending on where you live you might find it difficult to source acai berries but don’t despair you can simply substitute them with another berry of your choice and by adding a teaspoon of acai powder. Usually, Brazilian shops are your best bet to find frozen acai berries but don’t worry if you can’t find any, acai powder works just fine, too.
Benefits of Acai Berries
Acai berries are small, purple-colored berries which are native to Central and South America, especially Brazil where they grow in parts of the Amazonian rain forest.
Berries, in general, are a great source of antioxidants but some studies suggest that acai is even richer in protective antioxidants than cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries or the goji berry.
On top of providing many antioxidants, acai berries are also believed to help:
- control appetite hormones
- increase energy
- prevent heart disease
- help with many metabolic functions
Acai berries are loaded with numerous nutrients including:
- Antioxidants (anthocyanins, polyphenols, vitamins A, C and E)
- B vitamins (B1, B2 and B3)
- Healthy fats including monounsaturated fats and omega fatty acids
- Dietary fiber
- Certain essential amino acids
- Electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and manganese)
- Plant sterols (B-sitosterol, campesterol and stigmasterol)
- Other trace minerals (iron, calcium, copper and zinc)
Like it? Pin it!
What is your favourite breakfast food? Let me know, I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
- 7 oz frozen acai berries unsweetened*
- 1 banana
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk the drinkable one, not the canned one
- 1 tablespoon maca powder optional
- 1-3 tablespoons chia seeds or flaxseeds optional
- 1/2 banana sliced
- 1/4 cup blueberries raspberries or sliced strawberries
- 1/2 kiwi sliced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey
- Break frozen acai up into chunks and place in blender.
- Add other acai bowl ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Now, add the toppings of your choice and drizzle with maple syrup or raw honey
- Share and enjoy!
* If you can't get frozen acai berries substitute with 1 cup of raspberries and 1 teaspoon Acai Powder.