Quinoa And Strawberry Parfait
Quinoa and Strawberry Parfait is an easy, high-protein breakfast option that is vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. You can also keep it in the fridge and enjoy it as a snack.
It has a fruity sweetness which is in no way overpowering but yet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. All the sweetness is coming from the strawberries and a tiny pinch of stevia which is a natural, calorie-free sweetener that doesn’t have an impact on your blood sugar levels.
Quinoa and Strawberry Parfait has become one of my go to breakfasts since I embarked on my personal Candida journey. Some of you might know that I have suffered from severe Candidiasis for many years and was able to bring it under control by changing my diet and lifestyle.
For a long time, I cut out all forms of sugar, including lactose, fructose, starchy vegetables and also gluten. The Candida diet is very restrictive and I had to be very diligent to make sure that I was still receiving all the important nutrients. After 3 weeks into my candida diet, I was able to reintroduce small amounts of low sugar fruits like berries, that’s when the idea for this recipe was born.
Till today I am limiting my sugar intake but I also managed to reintroduce gluten and starchy vegetables. I don’t consume much dairy and replaced regular yoghurt with my Homemade Coconut Yoghurt and milk with plant-based milk like my Golden Turmeric Almond Mylk. I found that the naturally occurring hormones in regular milk had a negative impact on my own hormone levels which is why I decided to step away from it.
Since I started working as a Nutrition and Health Coach and have been writing about my own struggles many of you have approached me and shared your own stories.
For a while, I have been toying with the thought of introducing posts about nutrition and healthy lifestyle, of course, I wouldn’t stop posting recipes but I would love to find out if that would interest you. Let me know, I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
Like it? Pin it!
- 2 cups coconut milk (canned)
- ¼ teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- pinch of stevia
- pinch of sea salt
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt or natural yoghurt
- 10 strawberries, sliced
- chopped walnuts or any nuts or seeds you like
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the coconut milk with the vanilla extract, stevia and salt to a boil.
- Meantime, rinse the quinoa in cold water, otherwise, it might develop a soapy flavour.
- Add the quinoa to the boiling coconut milk and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the coconut milk has been absorbed by the quinoa.
- Let the quinoa cool down a bit, fill about an inch high layer into a glass and alternate with coconut or natural yoghurt and strawberries.
- Top with any nuts or seeds you like. Enjoy.