Sourdough rye bread is an ancient food which is full of flavour and deep in colour. It has many health benefits and is easier to digest than most breads. You have probably heard that Sourdough Rye Bread is the king of bread, but do you know why? Let me give you a little insight why it is so beneficial and also check out my post about What happened To Real Bread? The Reason Why People Are Struggling With Today’s Bread.
Benefits of eating Sourdough Rye Bread
1. Sourdough bread often has a lower glycemic index than most other bread meaning it doesn’t spike your blood sugar levels dramatically.
2. It contains higher proportions of bacteria Lactobacillus to yeast than other bread. What does this mean? More mineral availability and easier digestion. The good bacteria pre-digests the starches of the grains and all the heavy lifting for your digestive tract is already done.
3. Do you think it’s too time-consuming to maintain a sourdough starter? Believe me, the benefits are well worth it. Through this lengthier process, the gluten is broken down into amino acids and therefore easier to digest. Some people who are sensitive to gluten are able to tolerate sourdough rye bread.
4. Without containing any artificial preservatives it stays fresh much longer, than most homemade bread.
5. The fermentation process increases the content of beneficial bacteria in the bread AND your gut. It keeps yeast overgrowth in your intestines under control which makes it suitable for all candida warriors out there.
6. Unlike commercially produced bread it naturally contains many nutrients such as vitamin B1-B6, B12, folate, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin E, selenium, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium.
7. Sourdough bread tastes delicious and can vary in tanginess. Why don’t you get creative and add in some dried fruits, herbs or spices? My personal favourite is Fig & Walnut sourdough rye bread.
If you prefer to avoid gluten altogether check out my Best Gluten-Free Bread Recipe for inspiration.
What is your favourite kind of bread? Let me know, I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
Like it? Pin it!
Sourdough Rye Bread
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 7 cups organic rye flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/3 cups filtered or bottled water
- Add all ingredient into a big bowl and mix until well combined.
- Oil two loaf tins and pour in the dough mixture. Sourdough rye dough is too liquid to bake it without a tin
- Cover the tins with a plastic bag and let the dough proof in a warm room for 4-5 hours. You can also let it proof overnight.
- If the dough hasn't risen allow it to sit for another hour.
- Once it has the desired size, wet your hands and smooth out the top.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F-475 °F/230 °C - 250 °C.
- Bake at 450 °F-475 °F/ 230 °C - 250 °C for 20 min, then lower the temperature to 400 °F-425 °F/ 200°C- 220 °C for further 30-40 min.
- If you are using a fan oven reduce the temperature by 68 °F/20 °C.
- I recommend letting it sit overnight before you cut it. Enjoy!