These crunchy Vegan Veggie Pudding Tacos make a fabulous, healthy lunch or party food. They don’t need much prepping and everybody can assemble their taco with the toppings of their choice. Also, almost everyone can enjoy them because they are vegan and gluten-free.
Clonakilty Veggie Pudding
As you might know already, Clonakilty Pudding has recently launched a Veggie Pudding. I am absolutely in love with it and try to use it in as many different ways as possible.
For this recipe, I have teamed up with Clonakilty Pudding to show you that veggie pudding can be much more versatile than just being part of a breakfast fry up.
- Simply fry for 2 minutes either side and enjoy straight away or incorporate it into other dishes!
- Veggie Pudding can be used in place of meat products in recipes e.g. sausages, chorizo, puddings in the same way as other meat-substitute are.
- It doesn’t contain any artificial additives or preservatives, simply Gluten-Free Oats, Onions, Carrots, Blackbeans, Pea Starch, salt and a secret family spice mix
Even my meat-loving partner who considers himself to be a black pudding connoisseur really enjoys the taste.
Pair it with Mexican flavours
Clonakilty Veggie Pudding is made with black beans which I thought would be the perfect base for incorporating some Mexican spices.
It also pairs nicely with mint and fennel as you can see in my Veggie Pudding Crostinis With Minty Broad Beans recipe.
What I like most about tacos is the fact, that everybody can tailor them to their taste by adding the toppings of their choice. I chose to use Puy lentils as the base because they have a very earthy/meaty flavour, you can buy them in most Health Food Stores. While the cooked lentils have a soft texture the fried veggie pudding adds some lovely crunch.
Try to sneak in a few veggies and herbs for some extra nutrients, I have added tomatoes, carrots, mixed salad leaves and coriander.
Top it off with some vegan yoghurt or sour cream (if you can find some) and a drizzle of fresh lime juice to give it some zing.
Other popular toppings are
- Cheese (vegan cheese if vegan)
- Sliced green onions
- Mango salsa
- Avocado sauce
- Grilled Corn
- Tomato Salsa
Like it? Pin it for later!
What are your favourite taco toppings? I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
For more updates follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Vegan Veggie Pudding Tacos
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 cup puy lentils rinsed, other lentils will work too
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- Black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 corn taco shells
- 1 Clonakilty Veggie Pudding
- Mixed salad
- Carrot grated
- Vegan Cheese
- Vegan Sour Cream or yoghurt
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a big saucepan, add the onions and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes and spices and pour in the vegetable stock. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meantime, cut the Clonakilty Veggie pudding into 1 cm wide slices and fry in the remaining olive oil for 2 minutes on each side.
- Assemble the tacos and serve with the toppings of your choice, enjoy.