Moroccan-Spiced Sweet Potato And Lentil Soup
This warming Moroccan-Spiced Sweet Potato And Lentil Soup is a fantastic dish for a cold winter day. While it is not only nourishing and bursting with oriental flavours it’s also vegan and gluten-free. Best of all, it is easy to make, perfect for batch cooking and a real crowd-pleaser.
I love Morrocan recipes because of their intense flavours and spices. Every time I prepare this Moroccan-Spiced Sweet Potato And Lentil Soup its fragrance reminds me of walking through the buzzing market streets of a Middle-Eastern town.
Furthermore, you will probably have most of the ingredients on hand. The lentils are rich in protein and fibre which therefore make it a very satisfying and filling dish.
Also, Sweet potatoes are a good source of Vitamin A and you can read up on their benefits in my Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Sauce Recipe.
Meal Inspiration for Veganuary
While 2017 was a big year for veganism it’s set to become even more popular in 2018. Even though I am not vegan myself I follow a mainly plant-based diet.
Some of my friends decided to take part in Veganuary but aren’t sure what to eat for the entire month. In case you are struggling to come up with ideas yourself, here are a few of my favourite vegan recipes:
There are plenty more vegan recipes in my Vegan Category and my post about 5 Easy Lunch Ideas that will make you want to go Vegan if you want to check them out.
Like it? Pin it!
Are you taking part in Veganuary? I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion chopped
- 1 large carrot diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can plum tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 1/4 preserved lemon finely chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander chopped
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrot and fry for about 4 minutes. Now, stir in the garlic and ginger and fry for another minute.
- Combine the remaining olive oil with all the spices except for the salt and pour it into the pot. Give it a good stir so that it won't stick to the pot.
- Add the vegetable broth, plum tomatoes, puy lentils, sweet potatoes and preserved lemon. Season with salt to your taste.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are nice and soft.
- Sprinkle with coriander and serve immediately.
This recipe is perfect for batch cooking and freezes well. You can adjust the viscosity to your liking by adding more or less vegetable broth. If you want to learn more about how to thicken soup without flour check out this post about 5 simple ways to thicken soup without flour.