Eat your Greens
Are you struggling to eat the recommended amount of greens every day? This Super Green Broccoli Soup is here to help. It’s incredibly nutritious, bursting with vitamins, fibre, iron, magnesium and antioxidants and tastes sensational. Best of all, it is vegan, gluten-free and super creamy.
Soups and stews are perfect for meal prep, therefore I always make a big batch and then freeze it in single portions.
They are brilliant work lunches or come in handy any day you don’t feel like cooking. Even though I love cooking I quite regularly have busy days where I prefer the convenience of just heating something up.
This Easy Pumpkin Soup With Coconut Milk and this Chickpea And Potato Curry are also great options to keep yourself nourished and warm.
How are you getting on with your new year’s resolutions? Did you make any, are you sticking to them? Mine is to be more physically active and to spend more time with friends which has been working well so far.
Benefits of Super Green Broccoli Soup
As mentioned above, this soup is bursting with vitamins, fibre, iron, magnesium and antioxidants.
Kale is definitely king, kale is hard to compete with when it comes to nutrient density. It has higher concentrations of calcium, vitamin A, vitamin K, and other micronutrients than broccoli. Not everybody likes its flavour but it tastes quite subtle compared to the flavour of the broccoli.
If you have fussy eaters at home this soup is a great way to sneak in some veg.
While most people would benefit from eating more kale and broccoli there are also a few exceptions. Vitamin K can interfere with blood thinning medications, making too much kale dangerous for people with prescriptions like Warfarin.
Beans and seeds add additional protein which is needed for the growth and repair of body tissues. This Super Green Broccoli Soup is also rich in fibre which is vital for health, it keeps bowels healthy, lowers cholesterol and helps regulate appetite.
Beans are also a great way to thicken a soup, check out my post on How To Thicken Soup Without Flour In 5 Simple Ways.
Like it? Pin it!
What is your favourite vegetable soup? I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
For more updates follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Super Green Broccoli Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can cannellini beans 14.5 ounces/ 400g , rinsed + drained
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 cups greens you can use any greens, I like kale & spinach
- sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 handful pea shoots optional
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds toasted (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over low heat, and sauté the onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Now toss in the cannellini beans, broccoli florets, parsley and fill up with vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and let simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the broccoli becomes bright green and tender.
- Add in the greens of your choice and simmer for one more minute.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended soup back to the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Simmer for another minute and garnish with pea shoots and toasted sunflower seeds.
2 thoughts on “St Patrick’s Day Super Green Broccoli Soup”
Hi. Thanks for the delicious looking recipe . Does it have a strong coconut flavor?
Hi Jenny, no, not at all, it is quite subtle.