Stuffed Sweet Potatoes With Avocado Sauce
Ditch the good auld potato skins and say hello to stuffed sweet potatoes with avocado sauce. This recipe is incredibly easy to make and tastes absolutely moreish. It is one of those recipes to turn to when you open your fridge and realise that you are left with basically nothing. Plus, stuffed sweet potatoes with avocado sauce are vegan, gluten-free and healthy.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are also a great food to help you lose weight because they are:
- Lower in calories than regular potatoes
- Low on the glycemic index (which means that they won’t spike your blood sugar)
- High in fibre
- High in potassium
And, according to the Mayo Clinic,
“Because low glycemic index foods are absorbed more slowly, they stay in your digestive tract longer. This is why these foods are sometimes called slow carbs. These foods may help control appetite and delay hunger cues, which can help with weight management. Balanced blood sugar also can help reduce the risk of insulin resistance.”
Sweet potatoes are also good for your skin because the contain incredible amounts of Vitamin A. Also, they contain beta-carotene which helps your body to convert vitamin A to trigger the DNA responsible for producing new skin cells.
Some experts claim it may even help reversing free radical damage which causes wrinkles.
This is not the only delicious sweet potato recipe on my blog, make sure to check out my Vegan Sherperhd’s Pie With Sweet Potatoes and Tempeh, Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Hash, as well!
What is your favourite stuffing for sweet potatoes? These Stuffed Potatoes With Avocado Sauce have definitely become my favourite. I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
Sign up to my Newsletter to get healthy recipes and my eBook “10 Easy Dessert Recipes ” for FREE.
For more updates follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest.
Like it? Pin it!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup kidney beans, canned
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅓ cup cold water
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C, pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork multiple times and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meantime, add all the ingredients for the sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Take the baked sweet potatoes out of the oven and cut them lengthwise into half. Carefully scoop the flesh using a tablespoon into a medium-sized bowl and mix in the spices. Once well combined, add the bell pepper, kidney beans and chickpeas.
- Fill the mixture into the potato skins and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with avocado sauce.