Vegan Leek And Bean Chilli Recipe
This Vegan Leek And Bean Chilli inspired by the popular Happy Pear recipe is a fantastic choice if you don’t have much time on your hands or expecting a bunch of friends over for dinner .
Being a vegetarian, gluten, dairy and sugar-free dish it is suitable for almost everybody.
Most ingredients are staple foods which won’t break the bank.
You can serve the chilli with brown rice, roast potato wedges or a tasty wholemeal pitta bread.
Top it all off with a big dollop of sour cream or yoghurt, whatever you prefer.
The only downside of this dish, you shouldn’t invite your friends to stay overnight. You know what they say about the side effects of eating beans don’t you ? Just kidding.
Overall it is a fabulous, quick and easy dinner with an unexpected, refreshing lime flavour to it.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- ½ teaspoons ground chilli or 1 fresh chilli
- 2 medium leeks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 x 400 g tin of kidney beans
- 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 100 g tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 20 g fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Remove the seeds of the peepers and fresh chilli ( if using) and slice them along with the leek into fine stripes.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic & onions.
- Heat oil in a big pan and fry the onions and garlic for about 5 min.
- Now add the sliced leeks and peppers along with the chilli, cumin seeds and salt, and fry for another 5 min at medium heat.
- Drain the black or kidney beans and rinse them thoroughly.
- Add them to the pan with the tinned tomatoes, the tomato puree, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, black pepper and brown rice syrup.
- Crank up the heat until it boils, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Finely chop up the fresh coriander and stir it through along with the apple cider vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to personal taste, if needed.