This gluten free recipe has kindly been submitted by Hen Party Latino.
Hen Party Latino is a one stop shop for fun packed hen parties and hen party activities in Dublin.
If you don’t want to prepare the food for your party yourself check out their naked chef experience 😉
Serves: 12 balls
- Quinoa – 50g (uncooked)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Crushed Red Pepper to taste
- Onion – 1 medium size (chopped in little cubes)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped in fine slices)
- Thyme – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper to taste
- Baby Bella Mushrooms – 10 medium/big ounces (chopped in little cubes)
- Salt to taste
- Tomato passata – 3 full tbsp
- Parmesan Cheese – 4 tbsp
- Fresh Basil – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Organic Egg – 1
- Quinoa flour or any other gluten free flour – 50g
- Place the quinoa in a fine strainer and rinse it off well
- For 1 measure of quinoa, 2 measures of water
- Add the rinsed quinoa to a pan with hot water and leave it cooking for about 15 minutes or so.
- Reserve it.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, adding olive oil the onion and the crushed red pepper. Once the onion is getting transparent, join the garlic, thyme and black pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and salt, stirring until the mushroom gets cooked and the mix a browned colour.
- Add the tomato passata spoons and sprinkle some sugar on top. Once mixed try to check if the tomato flavour is slightly sweet as a tomato sauce tastes.
- Turn off the stove.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the sautéed mushrooms and when a little bit colder, add the parmesan cheese, fresh basil and quinoa flour. Once all the ingredients are well mixed, add an egg, making sure the whole mix is homogeneous and well incorporated.
- With the help of a wooden spoon or just using the hands dampen with a little bit of oil, make the quinoa balls and place them on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- In pre-heated oven place the tray for about 20 minutes, medium heat.
- When the balls look golden brown colour and crunch, the recipe is ready.