Avocado Lemon Sauce
Avocado lemon sauce is my favourite pasta sauce during the summer month.
The avocado gives it a lovely creamy texture which gets complimented by the lemon’s refreshing zing.
To keep it dairy-free I used soy cream, but it also works well with coconut milk or regular cream if you aren’t concerned about keeping it dairy-free.
Most people are surprised by the choice of ingredients for a pasta sauce, but so far even the most sceptical people have been convinced by its amazing flavours.
Behind the scenes
Unfortunately, I have to admit that I slightly messed up making the sauce, this time.
Usually, it is a bit greener which is lovely but while I was wondering why it was looking differently, I realised that I had only added 1/2 an avocado instead of the entire one, oops. 🙂
Hopefully, you will let me get away with the excuse that I was distracted by producing my first ever cooking video at the same time. Never had I thought how much time and preparation work goes into those short recipe videos you see all over Facebook and YouTube.
Nevertheless, I am a big fan of them and really enjoyed making it. I will spare you the behind the scene shots as it turned my kitchen into a huge mess 🙂
Let me know how you like it in the comments, feel free to ask if you have any questions!
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 oz Pancetta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy cream or other non-dairy cream
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice approx. juice of one lemon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 2/3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 bundle fresh chives or 3 tablespoons of dried chives
Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan, add onions and garlic and sweat for about a minute.
- Add the Pancetta and sweat for further 3 minutes.
Stir the flour into the mix. Once the flour is absorbed, add the water, soy-cream, vegetable stock cube, salt and lemon juice and let simmer for about 6 minutes.
- Peel and mash the avocado and add it along with the pepper.
- Blend everything thoroughly with an immersion blender.
- Finally, add the cherry tomatoes and chives and simmer for another 3 minutes.