Mediterranean Chickpea Bake Recipe
This Mediterranean chickpea bake is the perfect choice if you like to prepare your food ahead of time.
Whenever I have a busy week ahead, I prepare this bake along with several different curries and freeze them.
Do you know those dishes that taste even better on the second day? This is certainly one of them.
Like most stews and bakes it can easily be frozen in little portions and be defrosted whenever it suits you best.
Most ingredients are low-cost staple foods, which most of you will have at home.
This chickpea bake recipe is the perfect call when friends are visiting unexpectedly.
Mediterranean Chickpea Bake
A quick and delicious chickpea and potato bake.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 fresh chilli deseeded and finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 stick celery chopped, bite-sized
- 2 carrots chopped, bite-sized
- 1 green pepper deseeded
- 2 leeks chopped, bite-sized
- 1.5 lb potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey or natural sweetener
- 1 tub sun-dried tomato pesto
- Heat oil in a large pan, add the bay leaf and onion. Let it cook for about 10 min until the onions become translucent.
- Add the celery, garlic, chilli and carrots. Let cook for a further 6-8 min, adding tiny amounts of water if the vegetables start to dry out.
- Mix in the dried herbs, spices, peppers and leeks. Cook for further 5 min. at medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Now add the tomato puree along with the tinned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature and let simmer.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add them to the pan, leave to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F/ 200 °C
- Chop the parsley and add most of it to the chickpeas joined by the honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the stew into a casserole dish and top with the sliced potatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are crispy.
- Serve with thinly spread sun-dried tomato pesto and garnish with the rest of the parsley.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 902mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5125IU | Vitamin C: 65.6mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 6.1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @thehealthytart or tag #thehealthytart!
2 thoughts on “Mediterranean Chickpea Bake”
Boiled rice will make a good side dish with this recipe
Hi Dannie, I guess you could, but I usually just serve it by itself as it already contains potatoes and chickpeas which makes it quite filling. 🙂