Beetroot, Walnut And Tofu-Feta Burger With Roasted Carrot Hummus
This quick and easy recipe is bursting with colours and flavours, it is a vegan version of the well-loved Happy Pear recipe. The glowing colour of the beetroot isn’t the only thing that’s is special about this super healthy veg. It is rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and can help you to detoxify your body.
Remember all those legendary Russian centenarians? Beets, frequently consumed either pickled or in borscht, the traditional Russian soup, may be one reason behind their long and healthy lives.
Serve the burgers with a big dollop of this tasty roasted carrot hummus, topped off with some alfalfa sprouts.
I can’t make up my mind if this delicious Beetroot, Walnut And Tofu-Feta Burger is my favourite or if it would rather be my Quinoa and Black Bean Burger, which would be yours?
Have you tried veggie burgers yet? Which is your favourite? Let me know, I’m looking forward to reading your comments.
- 400 g uncooked beetroot
- 6 scallions
- 80 g vegan parmesan
- 100 g vegan tofu feta cheese
- 140 g toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- juice of ½ a lemon
- roasted carrot hummus ( recipe here)
- 10 g alfalfa sprouts
- 20 g sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C
- Scrub and grate the beetroot.
- Finely chop the scallions.
- Grate the vegan parmesan, chop the walnuts and crumble the vegan tofu feta.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the beetroot and scallions and let cook for 2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let it cool.
- Fill the beetroot mixture into a medium-sized bowl followed by both kinds of cheese, mint, walnuts, breadcrumbs and lemon juice. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your hands to form burger shaped patties. Add another chia egg if the mixture is too dry or flour if it's too wet. To make a chia egg mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Bake the patties on a lined oven tray for 25 minutes and flip them after 12 minutes.
- Alternatively, you could fry them in a pan with a little bit of oil.
- Mix the ingredients for the salad topping.
- Spread a good dollop of roasted carrot hummus on top and serve with some sprout salad topping.