Chickpea And Potato Curry
This cheap and easy chickpea and potato curry is the perfect weekday dinner. It is gluten-free, vegan and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves or 3tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper reduce or omit if you don't like it spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 cans chickpeas drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 2 scallions sliced (green & white part)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add the Spice Mix ingredients and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
Now, add the potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes. In case the spices start sticking to the bottom of the pot, add a tiny splash of water. Keep stirring.
Then, add the chickpeas, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and let simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
Adjust salt to taste, stir in scallions and parsley.
Serve with brown basmati rice.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 632mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1175IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 5.8mg